There are certain conditions under which the foreigners are granted to proceed with the divorce proceedings in Singapore as well. Suppose both the parties are foreigners and intends to proceed with divorce proceedings in Singapore, then any one of the spouses must be a perpetual resident in Singapore for a minimum of three years before filing a divorce in Singapore. Also, the spouses must have been married for the last three years. Continue reading the article to clear all your doubts related to divorce in Singapore.
Table of Contents hide
Does Singapore recognize overseas divorce?
The foreign divorce order will be considered in Singapore under the following conditions:
- If the foreign divorce order was accepted by the court of the domicile of any one of the spouses.
- The specific court accepted the foreign divorce order exercising the same jurisdiction as the Singapore court.
- If there is any sufficient relation between the courts accepting the foreign divorce order and any spouse’s divorce.
Get Fast & Accurate official notarization for ICA, MOM, MFA.
How much does a divorce cost in Singapore?
In Singapore, the cost of the divorce generally ranges between $1500-$3500 for the simplified and contested divorce (which means that both the spouse agrees to all the terms and conditions of the divorce). However, for a contested divorce, the cost of divorce ranges in between $10,000 $35,000 (in which both the spouse agrees to meet at least one conditions of the divorce)
The total fees of the divorce also depend on the lawyer who manages your case, the disbursement or the GST (i.e., if the law firm is registered under GST); it can also be included or can be additionally charged along with the lawyer initial fees.
What happens when one spouse doesn’t want a divorce in Singapore?
In Singapore, if your spouse does not want a divorce, you can still carry forward with a legal proceeding to file the divorce. In this situation, you can proceed with filing a contested divorce because the other spouses do not agree to the divorce’s legal term.
If any of the spouses overlook the divorce papers and do not agree to present in the court, in that situation, the court can still allow you to file the divorce and make the order regarding the ancillary matters like division of assets, maintenance, and children issues. The reason behind this is because your spouse is not agreeing to the term and not taking any legal action regarding the divorce in court.
In contrast, the spouses are also granted to file a defence to contest the divorce. If any spouses file the defence to contest the divorce, the legal matter will then carry forward to the trial. During the trial, the court will patiently listen to the point of view of both parties before concluding whether to dissolve the marriage or not. One of the limitations of a contested divorce is that it is pretty costlier & time-consuming when compared to an uncontested divorce.
How long after divorce can you remarry in Singapore?
You will only be granted to remarry in Singapore after divorce if you have obtained the final judgment (also known as certificate of final judgment form) of your divorce. This means you will require to keep waiting for at least three months to issue the final judgment.
You are not granted to remarry upon acquiring the interim judgment, i.e., temporary divorce. If you do so, it will be considered as a criminal offence for which you will be sent for imprisonment and fined.
However, you also have the option to request for the abridgement to shorten the time, though the decision on approving is abridgement rests in the hands of the court.
Will divorce affect my PR in Singapore?
No, the divorce with your spouse will not affect your permanent resident in Singapore. This means that even after getting divorced from your spouse, you will still be considered the permanent resident in Singapore and entitled to all the rights provided to the permanent resident.
Hire a Language translator for converting your legal & Other Documents.
How can I get a quick divorce in Singapore?
To get a quick divorce in Singapore, both the spouse must agree to all the terms and conditions of the divorce. A simplified or uncontested divorce is one of the quickest ways to get a divorce in Singapore. This divorce simply means that both the spouses agree to divorce on the specified condition and ancillary issues. However, you can also ask your lawyer to file the case in the fast track simplified divorce hearing in the Family Court.
Is alimony compulsory in Singapore?
Yes, in some cases, alimony is mandatory in Singapore. Alimony is given to the wife and not the husband. Mostly, the alimony is provided for a specific period. Suppose you are the only breadwinner for your children and spouse and they cannot support themselves financially after divorce, then you must give some financial support to them.
What is the reason for translating divorce certificates
- There are numerous reasons why people prefer choosing a divorce certificate translation service. Suppose you are immigrating from one country to another country for visa applications. In that situation, these certificates need to be translated into English or any other language that serves as evidence for the current marital status.
- Divorce certificates are usually required while applying for immigration to Singapore, and you might be aware that Singapore immigration authorities only consider divorce certificate that is in English.
- A divorce certificate is an essential document that enables you to present evidence that your existing marriage was officially terminated.
- Another reason when the requirement of divorce certificate translation arises is when you are about to marry another person staying in Singapore, and your divorce certificate is in a foreign language. Then prior to presenting your divorce certificate, you need to acquire a divorce certificate translation service to get it officially translated into English.
- It’s always advisable to reach out to a certified translation agency like translation services Singapore for obtaining a high-quality divorce certificate translation service, especially if you need to submit your divorce certificate in English to Singapore immigration Authorities.
- The divorce certificate involves several important information about the person and several other things that’s why it needs to be translated from the professional service providers who can accurately translate the words into English without changing the context of the content (especially keeping the same format for divorce date, reasons, etc.) which can be done perfectly by the professional translators at Singapore translators.
Choosing the best divorce certificate translation service
Our certified translation service package also includes police report translation. At Singapore translators, we offer accurate divorce translation service of any foreign language into English. Court approved translators offer top-notch translation services of several foreign languages into English at a cost-effective price. So quickly reach out to us to acquire the best divorce certificate translation service.