All about GCE A-Level Examination
The Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-Level) examination is the widely recognized annual examination taken by several schools and private candidates in Singapore.
In this article, we have outlined several details about the Singapore Cambridge General certificate of education advanced level examination.
What is GCE A-Level
The Singapore Cambridge General certificate of education advanced level examination was introduced in 1975. It was separated from United Kingdom’s GCE A-Level examination in 2002, as an important part of the Ministry of Education (MOE) Singapore’s efforts to acquire enhanced control over the examination management. A GCE A-Level examination is closely linked with Singapore’s school curriculum, which the Ministry of Education maps out.
The GCE A-Level examination is provided annually to the following students:
- The students coming from junior colleges or centralized institutes, preferring to take up the A-level courses.
- The private candidates who have met the eligibility criteria can apply for the GCE A-level examination.
- The Singapore examination and assessment Board, Cambridge assessment international education, and Ministry of education are the integrated examining authority for managing the GCE A-level examination.
The applicant can also choose to give an exam on the subject at three levels of study – Higher 1 (H1), Higher 2 (H2), and, for school candidates, Higher 3.
The University of Western Australia accepts the application from the candidates who have successfully completed the Singapore Cambridge GCE A-level program, to get admission in the university you will require meeting the following criteria:
- To comply with the relevant universities’ proficiency in the English language.
- The requirements to acquire satisfactory performance in one of the English subjects
- To obtain a required number of Singapore Cambridge GCE A-level points as specified in the institution’s eligibility criteria.
- Comply with the prerequisite subject requirements for your opted course.
Minimum entry scores
The Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level candidates need to comply with the equivalent minimum entry score as met by the other applicants. In the following table, we have outlined the overview of the GCE A-level points which every candidate requires to get admission into the University.
Singapore-Cambridge GCE A-Level Scores needed for the Assured Pathways.
|Course||Minimum A-Level Points required|
|Bachelor of Arts||6.5|
|Bachelor of business|
|Bachelor of Music|
|Bachelor of Environmental Design|
|Bachelor of biomedical science||8|
|Bachelor of Commerce|
|Bachelor of Science|
|Bachelor of Automation and Robotics||11|
|Bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics||12|
|Bachelor of Advanced computer science||12.5|
|Bachelor of Philosophy||14.5|
Singapore Cambridge GCE A-Level Scores needed for the students seeking Combined Bachelor’s and Master’s (CBM) degrees.
|Assured pathways||Minimum A-Level Points required|
|Master of Professional Engineering||8|
|Masters of Teaching|
|Masters of translation studies||12|
|Masters of Architecture, Master of Landscape architecture||12.5|
|Master of Pharmacy, Doctor of Podiatric Medicine||13.5|
|Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Medicine, Juris Doctor (LAW)||14|
|COMBINED BACHELOR’S AND MASTER’S (CBM) DEGREE||MINIMUM A-LEVEL POINTS REQUIRED|
|All CBM Degrees||12|
The points are assigned to the student based on the following:
- For the H2 level student: A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1
- For the a H1 level students (content-based only): A=2.5, B=2.0, C=1.5, D=1.0, E=0.5
- At least two H2 level subjects are must have opted for assessment reasons.
- However, there is no maximum limit on the H2 level subjects that can be used for evaluating the aggregate marks.
- For content-based, the maximum of one content-based H1 subject can be undertaken for evaluating the aggregate marks.
- The H1 level and H2 level cannot be undertaken in the same subject altogether to determine the aggregate marks.
- The general paper that comes in the category of H1 level and the project work that comes in the same category cannot be undertaken for evaluating the aggregate marks.
In the following table, we have covered the Singapore Cambridge GCE A-level subject that will give you a clear idea of the course and its major requirements.
|ATAR Equivalent Subject||GCE Advanced level Equivalent|
|Mathematics Applications ATAR|
|Mathematics Methods ATAR|
|Mathematics Specialist ATAR|
Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Syllabus B
The mother tongue language syllabus B is not an A-, H1-, AO- or H2-Level subject, and its outcome will be accepted in evaluating the admission marks of the university. Those students who will pass in the mother tongue language syllabus B needs to comply with the MTL subject criteria for pursuing admission to the University.
The grade assigned for the mother tongue language syllabus B subject will be written as pass, ungraded, or merit on the issued certificate or slip of the candidate’s result.
A level examination will be graded on the scale of A to E. Student who has acquired maximum marks, i.e., in addition to the AS, will be provided one grade for every subject. The AS results are classified into A level point score if not converted as terminal credential after the commencing year of study. For that university utilizing centralized university and college admissions services process for admitting the students, grades are also connected tariff points that are considered for every A-level grade.
Hire our translators for academic translation service
Now, you might be aware of all the information about the GCE A-level examination. The information in the article is sufficient to let you understand the examination and several related details to qualify.
Besides this, you can quickly contact Singapore translators for a rapid assignment translation. Our team of professional translators will never let you down in terms of obtaining high-quality translation services. Our translators are always ready to assist you in all kinds of document translation at a reasonable rate.