A Step-by-step Guide to Applying for Singapore Student Visa
Over the years, Singapore has become a popular destination to complete higher education. It is the home of highly reputed international institutions like the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. Singapore student visa allows the student to work part-time, study, and lawfully live in Singapore until your graduation or chosen educational course completes.
So, If you are looking to college or institute study in Singapore or making an application for admission to Singapore institution then you need an accurate translation of your document. Here is a guide on acquiring a Singapore student visa, including the required documents, application process, and several other essential things to keep in mind while applying for the student visa.
Table of Contents hide
12 FAQs related to the Student Visa
What is Singapore Student VISA?
Singapore student visa is also known as student pass. A student visa is one of the essential documents that every international student must acquire in order to pursue a full-time study program in highly reputed universities of Singapore, especially for those courses that last longer than 30 days.
The Singapore government has also organized a specific scheme for the students named the SOLAR system, i.e. Student Pass Online Application and Registration System. It is one of the departments of Singapore that oversee the student visa application.
Students are asked to file the student visa application minimum of one month before the start of the academic year or the semester under which they have taken admission. Students who are less than 19 years of age – For those who have taken admission in the private institution, their students pass will be processed directly by the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.
Students 20 years of age or more are required to appear in the interview if they wish to study fine arts degrees, language or commercial programs, and vocational programs. Students holding Singapore student passes are also granted to apply for work part-time jobs in the city.
However, you will be asked to return the Singapore student visa within a week after your chosen educational courses or graduation is completed. Students, after completing their studies in Singapore seeking an employment opportunity, are required to apply for the visit pass. On approval, students will get one year of extension on their stay in Singapore to start looking for work opportunities in the country.
Why do students prefer to study in Singapore?
Singapore is the best location for highly reputed international universities, including the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University.
Both universities fall under the category of top-ranked institutions that provide world-class education and generate various opportunities for students to be part of state-of-the-art faculties. Besides providing world-class education, affordable fees and low cost of living are also one of the most promising factors of reputable universities in Singapore among foreign students.
As per the recent reports of the economic intelligence unit, it has listed Singapore as one of the second safest cities after Tokyo worldwide. However, Singapore has also been admired for its excellent health security and speedy recovery of patients suffering from severe medical conditions compared to several other countries across the world.
Types of Students Visa
In Singapore, there is only one study visa that is accepted in all 34 institutes of high learning that accepts international students but there are variants of pass – Student pass based on the duration of the program or Student Pass based on the type of program you wish to attend
Singapore also offers the following types of the passes
|Training Work Permit||This type of pass is usually required by the students planning to go for this practical training of up to 6 months along with semiskilled foreign workers.|
|Training Employment Pass||This type of work passes required by the foreign professionals looking to go for practical training and earns the minimum fixed monthly salary of $3000.|
|Work Holiday Pass (under Work Holiday Program)||This pass is usually for the students between 18 to 25 years looking to work and holiday in Singapore for not more than six months.|
|Work Holiday Pass (under Work and Holiday Visa Program)||This type of pass is mainly for Australian candidates between the age group of 25 to 30 years looking to work on holiday in Singapore for not more than six months.|
What are the requirements to get a Singapore Student Visa?
The requirements to apply for the Singapore student visa depend on your age, the type of university you are applying for, and the course you are looking to study in Singapore.
As per the guidelines set by SOLAR, i.e., Student Pass Online Application and Registration System here is the checklist of essential documents that every student will require while applying for a student visa.
- You must have the biodata of the travel document page and birth certificate if required.
- While applying for the Singapore student pass, you will require to have some basic personal information with you, including employment history, financial support, a checklist of the countries or cities in which you have resided in previous years, and your educational background.
- Another essential document that you must have with you while applying for the Singapore student pass is parents personal information (if applicable)
- The most recent passport size (must be at least two photos) was taken within the previous three months.
- You must provide your permanent email address.
- Proof of registered residential address and contact details in Singapore
- Must also present the acknowledgment letter from the university that you are planning to attend.
- Some basic certificates are academic transcripts, degree certificates, and required scores in international exams like GRE, IELTS/TOEFL, etc.
- While applying for the Singapore student pass, you must have proof of visa fee receipt along with the three completed application forms.
- SOP, resume as well as 3 Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- Travel and Health Insurance
Besides this, below are some of the important documents that you are required during the Visa interview process:
- A photocopy of the E– form 16 should be duly completed and signed.
- The most recent medical reports including COVID-19 vaccination certificates.
- Your in-principle approval letter that you have received from the Singapore authority.
Do note that you might also be asked to provide the financial details and proof indicating that you can easily bear all the expenses (including education expenses and living expenses) throughout your stay in Singapore.
It’s recommended to gather all the documents mentioned above with you before proceeding to the application process.
Application Process to get Student Visa
After you are ready with all the documents mentioned above to apply for the Singapore student pass, make sure that each university has its different application process.
However, if you are unaware of the application process of your chosen university in which you are looking to take admission, then explore the official website of the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore to get familiar with the application process of your chosen university.
We have mentioned the key steps you have to undergo in the paragraph below after successfully registering for the Singapore student visa.
- After receiving the university’s admission letter, you will be required to only apply for the Singapore student pass as the university itself provides you with a student visa.
- You will require to apply for the student pass within the time period of two weeks of getting your student visa, but you should not delay more than 1 to 2 months prior to the start date of your education course. Once you have submitted the student pass application, it will only take a minimum of 15 days and a maximum of four weeks to process the visa.
- The next step is to visit the Student’s Pass Online Application and Registration System (SOLAR) website.
- After that, you need to sign in using the details provided by your chosen University.
- Now the next step involved in the application process is to complete and submit E-form 16 and pay the required Singapore student visa fee of 30 SGD.
- Once you have paid the Singapore student visa fee, you will be issued a disembarkation/embarkation card that grants you to enter Singapore.
Now the rest of the process you will need to complete after visiting Singapore.
After you have arrived in Singapore, you will require scheduling an appointment with the immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), paying the required fees of 60 SGD, and collecting all the relevant documents.
After following all the above steps, you will get the student pass to study, work, and live in Singapore. However, an issued visa will be sent to the respective student by courier, or they can collect the visa by visiting the embassy.
Once the Visa is issued, the student must submit the Visa to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) before the Academic session begins.
Singapore student visa benefits
Until you are registered as a student in any of the recognized universities in Singapore and holds a Singapore student visa, then Singapore‘s student visa can provide you following benefits:
- You are granted to complete your studies in Singapore as an international student.
- You can live in Singapore until your graduation completes.
- By holding a student visa, you will be granted to work part-time for 16 hours each week, and during the time of holidays, you can work full-time as well.
When you are in Singapore holding a student pass, the pass will work as a ticket that will allow you to move anywhere within Singapore. This is why it is always advisable to keep the Singapore student visa with you throughout your stay.
No 1 Online Translation Services for Document & Legal Translations in Singapore.
How to get Singapore to work visa after graduation?
As already mentioned, your student pass allows you to complete your studies in any Singapore university until you complete the course.
Once you have completed your graduation or any educational course, you will be able to apply for some other visa if you want to remain in Singapore.
If you have a job offer in Singapore, then you will require following the following steps:
- Visit the Ministry of manpower official website
- On the website, proceed to apply for the S pass, work permit, and employment pass; it all depends on the organization you will be working for and what will be your fixed monthly/annual salary.
In case you do not have any job offer in Singapore, but you need time to explore the job opportunities, then you should apply for the long-term visit pass.
However, this pass is valid for one year and allows you to stay in Singapore and look for job opportunities.
There are a large number of students who visit Singapore to complete their higher education. The reason behind choosing Singapore over any other country is its reputable international universities and affordable fees. No doubt, the entire process is long and involves several steps.
One of the essential documents that every student should apply before moving to Singapore is a student visa. Don’t take it misconception that after applying for the student visa that it will be accepted.
However, the authority has the complete right to reject your Singapore student visa application. If you follow all the steps correctly and submit all the relevant documents, there are fewer chances of your application getting rejected.
However, most Visa applications get denied because of incomplete documents, low English proficiency scores, inability to meet academic requirements, etc.
When we compare the success rate of Singapore student visa applications with several other countries, the Singapore success rate is quite good. The success rate of visa applications in Singapore is more than 90%.
Here are some of the points that you should consider while applying for the Singapore student visa is to increase the chances of your visa getting accepted. Some basic things like employment details, passport size photographs, academic records, financial documents, etc.
In order to acquire the Singapore student Visa, the students need to submit the processing fee along with the visa issuance fee, which is as follows:
- The processing fee of the student visa application is S$30, which is non-refundable, and you are required to pay the fees along with the Visa application to ICA.
- The visa-issuance fee is S$60 needs to be paid by the candidates after all the formalities have been completed while issuing the Visa at ICA.
Cancellation of Student Pass
Foreign students are required to cancel and return the Student pass (STP) once their educational program has been completed. However, students need to return the pass to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) within the time frame of 7 days only if the students come under the following situation.
- If candidates are transferring their studies to the part-time studies
- If the students are applying for a Leave of Absence(LOA) for longer periods
- In case students are terminating their studies.
However, several authorities in Singapore can help you with the cancellation of student pass online. But you can still cancel the Singapore student pass in person by visiting the given address:
Visitor Services Centre ICA Building
10 Kallang Road, Level 4 (next to Lavender MRT Station)
In order to successfully cancel your Singapore student pass, the student will require carrying a student pass cancellation form, student pass card, and valid travel document. However, candidates also have the option to surrender the student pass to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officer present at the airport.
Covid-19 Latest Update for education
Coronavirus has negatively affected international education. Due to Covid-19, several countries have imposed travel restrictions to prohibit foreign individuals from entering the country. However, some countries have removed the travel restrictions and started welcoming a large number of students from all over the globe. In contrast, some have still not exempted the travel restrictions for foreign students. Therefore, students holding a Student visa pass will be granted to study in Singapore. However, while immigrating to Singapore for studies, students must present the health declaration sanctioned by ICA and MOE.
Can I work in Singapore on a student visa?
Every university in Singapore has its separate guidelines related to the students granted to work part-time; as specified, Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA) Singapore grants international students to receive part-time work opportunities for 16 hours per week throughout their course duration. In addition, after you have completed your educational course in Singapore, you also have the option to apply for a Long Term Visit Pass if you intend to stay in Singapore to explore employment opportunities.
Is IELTS required for a Singapore student visa?
The requirement of language proficiency test scores like IELTS or TOEFL depends on your chosen institution. For example, it might be required (but not mandatory) for Singapore Student Visa.
How long does it take to get a Singapore student visa?
There is no exact processing time for a Singapore student visa. However, it can vary between 15 days to a maximum of 4 weeks. After all, it depends on the type of University you are applying for.
What is the minimum balance required to obtain Singapore Student Visa?
However, the Ministry of Education (MOE) has not specified any minimum criteria for the bank balance; still, it is recommended that every student have $410 in their savings account.
Can spouse and child travel with the student to Singapore?
Unfortunately, a Singapore student visa does not grant the child and spouse to accompany the student in Singapore. However, they are only granted to join the student in Singapore after completing their studies and working in Singapore. For studying also, the student will require to apply for Employment Pass.
What are the requirements to study in Singapore?
Requirements to Study in Singapore
- Based on the course the students are opting for, they will be required to submit the photocopy of the mark sheet, transcripts, minimum qualification as specified by the institution.
- Every international student needs to get all the documents translated into English if they are not in English from approaching the relevant translation agency or individual holding expertise in doing so.
- The international students intending to acquire admission in Singapore recognized university needs to get their marks converted as per the grading system of Singapore.
- The marks of the IELTS/TOEFL and GMAT exams also need to be submitted to the chosen university.
- However, the minimum score varies depending on the university, so it’s always advised the students check the minimum qualifying score of the concerned university.
Besides all the above-provided documents, the candidate might also be asked to submit the certified true copy of their identity proof and birth certificate followed by the medical reports if they are recently affected by any disability or illness.
However, if you need additional details on a student visa in Singapore. Then you must definitely read our comprehensive guide on Student Visa in Singapore
Is education free in Singapore for foreigners?
No, education in Singapore for foreigners is not free. Each foreigner immigrating to Singapore needs to pay for choosing the educational course. But, if the foreigner chooses to pursue admission in the Singapore Public school, it will be much more affordable. The fees range from $150 to $650 a month at the primary level and $260 — $1100 a month at the secondary level. No matter the foreigner holds a permanent resident of any other passes or permits.
In contrast, the fees of the Singapore private colleges are quite expensive, with the annual tuition fees ranging between $10,000-$37000. Additionally, the local schools do not have complicated fees and admission processes.
Is the National University of Singapore expensive?
Undoubtedly, the National University of Singapore tops the list of one of the most prominent universities for pursuing higher-level education. It is one of the flagship universities of Singapore and is widely recognized as the best one to pursue most degrees and certifications.
Now coming to the fee structure of the National University of Singapore. However, it’s quite cheaper than several other universities of Singapore, and its annual tuition fees range from $8200-$9600. This means for three years course; you are only required to pay $24,600-$28,800 for completing your chosen course.
For medical and dentistry courses, the fee of the National University of Singapore is $28,900 per year. The degree would cost between $115,600 (dentistry, 4 years) to $144,500 (medicine, 5 years).
These fees structure are only for Singapore citizens. For the foreigners and Singapore permanent residents, the fees will be greater than 40% at the National University of Singapore.
What is the best course to study in Singapore?
Banking and finance are among the best courses to study in Singapore, mainly for those students with a commerce stream. Singapore has turned into one of the most reputed destinations across Asia for financial Centers. It has also been noticed that people preferring to choose banking and finance courses from past few years. Also, as per the reports, it has been figured out that the top paid jobs in Singapore are related to banking and finance. Banking and finance courses are offered in almost all the highly reputed institutes of Singapore at both undergraduate and master levels. These are some top Universities of Singapore for pursuing banking and finance courses.
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic
Can foreigners study in Singapore primary school?
The foreigners are granted to acquire admission in the major primary schools, secondary schools, Millennia Institute and junior colleges, provided they meet certain criteria for pursuing admission.
Can international students work in Singapore?
Yes, international students are allowed to get employed in Singapore, provided they where is he certain work passes or permit to do so.
How many hours are you permitted to work as a student in Singapore?
There are several institutions in Singapore with separate rules and guidelines regarding getting employed in the part-time profession. According to the Immigration and Checkpoint Authority of the Singapore government, international students are allowed to work for 16 hours a week.
Additionally, the students are allowed to work without a pass during the vacations only if they comply with the following conditions:
- If the students are registered into the full-time programme in any of the recognized institutions of Singapore.
- If the student holds a student pass provided by the immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA)
- Students must be 14 years of age or above.
Can you stay in Singapore after studying?
After graduating or completing the educational course in Singapore, the student will not be allowed to stay or work in Singapore under a student pass or visa. However, you will require to apply for the work or pass or permit to continue staying and working in Singapore. The type of pass that you need to apply for depends on the job offer you have during your graduation.
Can international students come to Singapore?
International students are granted to arrive in Singapore. Upon receiving the letter of approval from the relevant authority, you will also be provided with a visa from the institution. Within two weeks of approval, you will need to apply for the student pass with the immigration and checkpoint Authority (ICA).
Hire our certified translators for a better translation
We hope the above blog has cleared all your doubts about applying for a Singapore student visa, the requirements, and the benefits of holding a Singapore student visa.
As already mentioned above, several documents are required to obtain a Singapore student visa. However, make sure that every document you submit should be in English if you seek a translation agency in Singapore to translate your foreign language documents into English. Then getting in touch with a Singapore translator will be worth your money.
We have a team of the experienced translator that provides you with ICA translation service Singapore. We have covered all the work passes and permit translation services and many more in our document translation package.